“Do Populist Parties Increase Turnout? Evidence from over 40 Years of Electoral History in 31 European Democracies’’ (with Maurits Meijers, Radboud University, Nijmegen), 51 pages, MPSA 2018.
“Critical or instrumental democrats? Germans’ conceptions of democracy a quarter century after reunification” (with Claudia Landwehr, Johannes-Gutenberg University Mainz), 16 pages, PSA 2018.
“Is there an economic vote in referendums? The case of the 2016 Italian constitutional referendum”, 28 pages, MSPA 2018, ECPR Joint Sessions 2018.
“The Consequences of Increasing Turnout in Low-Salience Elections: Evidence from Concurrent Elections in Germany” (with Lukas Rudolph, LMU Munich), 42 pages, EPOP 2017.
“The Elusive Effect of Referendums on Democratic Satisfaction”, 55 pages, ECRP Gradudate Conference 2016.
“Popular Support for Direct Democracy in Europe: Critical but not Compensatory”, 55 pages, ECRP Gradudate Conference 2016.
Work in Progress
“The effect of enfranchisement, temporary disenfranchisement and participation on youth turnout” (with Thorsten Faas, Free University of Berlin, Sigrid Roßteutscher, Goethe-University Frankfurt and Armin Schäfer, University of Osnabrück). Three-wave panel study of 3500 adolescents in Schleswig-Holstein covering the state and federal election 2017 as well as municipal elections in 2018.
Media and Blogs
I also occasionally write for media outlets and blogs about my research and data analyses I do in my ‘free time.’ See below for a selection of posts.
- “Am Scheideweg - Sind die Grünen nur eine Partei des Westens?” (with Julian Zuber, Tagesspiegel Causa, 8 November 2016
- “Zu jung zum Wählen?” (with Thorsten Faas, Sigrid Roßteutscher and Armin Schäfer), Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung, 8 September 2017
- “A far-right party just won seats in three German state parliaments. Here’s why.”, The Monkey Cage, 22 March 2016
- “Olympia-Referendum - Die Polarisierung zwischen Arm und Reich ist stärker als zwischen Ja und Nein”, Hertie School Blog, 1 December 2015
- “Voters seem to respond to the ‘reported’ rather than the ‘real’ economy”, LSE Democratic Audit UK, 9 September 2015
- “Direct democracy is ill-fitted to engaging the politically disengaged, but popular with more active citizens”, LSE Democratic Audit UK, 30 July 2015
- “Simultaneity of Local Elections and Turnout in the 2014 European Election in Germany”, Making Electoral Democracy Work Blog, 4 June 2014